Australia Awards Scholarships are long term development awards administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. They aim to contribute to the long term development needs of Australia’s partner countries in line with bilateral and regional agreements. Scholarships are mainly at postgraduate level however there is a limited number of undergraduate scholarships (country specific).
The Awards are offered for the minimum period necessary for the individual to complete the academic program specified by the Australian higher education institution, including any preparatory training. The following benefits generally apply:
- Full tuition fees.
- Return air travel payment of a single return, economy class airfare to and from Australia, via the most direct route.
- Establishment allowance – a once only payment of A$5,000 as a contribution towards accommodation expenses, text books, study materials.
- Contribution to Living Expenses (CLE) is a fortnightly contribution to basic living expenses paid at a rate determined by the department. From 1 January 2013, CLE payable to awardees is A$30,000 per year.
- Introductory Academic Program (IAP) – a compulsory 4-6 week program prior to the commencement of formal academic studies covering information on life and study in Australia.
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of the award (for award holder only) provided to cover the student’s basic medical costs (with the exception of pre-existing conditions).
- Pre-course English (PCE) fees – if deemed necessary PCE may be available for students for in-country and/or in-Australia training.
- Supplementary Academic Support may be available to ensure a Scholar’s academic success or enhance their academic experience.
- Fieldwork (for research awardees and Master by coursework which has a research component where fieldwork is compulsory component) may be available for eligible research students for one return economy class airfare via the most direct route to their country of citizenship or within Australia.
- These scholarships are for international students only.
Terms and conditions
Applicants who want to accept an Australia Awards Scholarship will need to sign a contract with the Commonwealth of Australia declaring that they will comply with the conditions of the scholarship.
Awardees are required to leave Australia for a minimum of two years after completing their scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the awardee incurring a debt for the total accrued cost of their scholarship.
How to apply
- Information on how to apply for an Australia Awards Scholarship